…as husband allegedly accuses wife of having a lover who built the M185 000 home
Makananelo Manamolela
A house built to give a vulnerable family a fresh start has been reduced to a scene of destruction after a man allegedly damaged the property in a fit of anger over accusations that his wife had an affair.
Maatisang Ratefane had been living with her five children in a two-roomed house constructed and donated to the family by the Disaster Management Authority (DMA) at Lepereng, Maseru.
The house, which cost M185 000, was handed over to the family in April this year after Maatisang and her children had endured years of hardship in a dilapidated home with a leaking roof.
The family’s struggles worsened after Maatisang’s husband, Mosito Ratefane, allegedly abandoned them and left for South Africa about two years ago.
However, upon his return, Mosito, 44, allegedly accused his wife of having an extra-marital affair and claimed that the house had been built by her alleged lover.
He allegedly became angry and damaged the house on Monday morning, leaving the family facing the prospect of once again being without adequate shelter.
The incident has sparked concern among the DMA, traditional leaders and neighbours, who say the house was intended to provide the family with security and dignity rather than become the centre of a domestic dispute.
DMA Chief Executive Officer, Reatile Elias, said the house represented a significant investment by the Authority.
“The house was constructed at a cost of M185 000 and was among the houses that were to be officially handed over to beneficiaries by Prime Minister (Sam) Matekane,” Mr Elias said.
He expressed disappointment that a facility provided to improve the family’s living conditions had allegedly been destroyed by one of its intended beneficiaries.
“It is very unfortunate that a house built to assist a family and provide them with dignity and a safe place to live can be damaged in this manner,” Mr Elias said.
He said the Authority hoped Mr Matekane would give a directive on repairing the damaged two-roomed house.
Mr Elias added that he would consult the Authority’s lawyers on the way forward regarding the matter.
According to Maatisang, problems in her marriage to Mosito have existed for many years.
She alleged that her husband subjected her to persistent bullying and mistreatment, including bringing another woman to their home, eventually forcing her to leave the family house and return to her father’s home.
“It all started as far back as 2007 until I reached a point where I could no longer tolerate the way I was being treated and abused, and I had to leave and return to my father’s home,” Mrs Ratefane said.
She said she left her five children behind, believing their father would continue caring for them.
However, she alleged that Mosito later abandoned the children and left for South Africa, leaving the family in difficult circumstances.
Maatisang said the destruction of the new house was particularly painful because it had been provided to the family as assistance after years of hardship.
“This house was meant to give us a home and stability, especially because the one we had was leaking and in a very bad state. It is painful to see it being destroyed when we already have so many challenges,” she said.
The matter has also raised concern among local traditional authorities.
Chief Molemo Mosoloane expressed embarrassment over what he described as a prolonged pattern of alleged abuse, stubbornness and disrespect by Mosito.
He said community leaders had repeatedly attempted to engage him to resolve disputes and encourage him to act responsibly towards his family and the wider community.
However, the situation allegedly escalated when Mosito was summoned before the chief on Monday.
“Instead of responding peacefully to the summons, Ratefane threatened my life, saying he would kill me,” Chief Mosoloane said.
He said the matter was particularly concerning because it involved not only the family but also neighbours and community members who had repeatedly tried to assist the household.
“We are really hopeful that he will be punished accordingly since he was arrested,” he said.
Neighbour, ’Malerato Shakhane, said the family was facing severe financial difficulties, forcing neighbours to regularly step in with assistance.
“The family is really struggling financially, to the extent that the situation is now becoming our burden as neighbours, as we have to provide food daily,” she said.
She said the destruction of the house had compounded the family’s difficulties, particularly because rebuilding it would require substantial financial resources.
The incident has also raised broader concerns about the protection of homes provided to vulnerable families through disaster-management programmes.
The DMA has urged beneficiaries of such assistance to protect the property provided to them and seek appropriate intervention when domestic disputes arise rather than resorting to violence or destruction of property.
The Authority’s concern was heightened by the fact that the house was built using public resources and was intended to provide long-term shelter for the family.
While the allegations of abuse, abandonment and threats remain subject to investigation by the relevant authorities, community leaders say the incident highlights the need for early intervention in prolonged domestic disputes before they escalate into violence, destruction of property and threats to life.
Mosito has reportedly been arrested, and authorities are expected to investigate the circumstances surrounding the destruction of the house and the allegations made against him.
