3 charged for operating unregistered schools

MASERU – A Kenyan and two Basotho are facing criminal charges for operating unregistered schools in Maseru.

The prosecution says Moses Kiaba, Akhente Akhente and ’Malimakatsa Lebelo breached the education law by operating secondary and high schools without registering them.

Kiaba is facing two counts for operating two different schools in Maseru.

Kiaba is being charged for contravening sections of the Education Act of 2010 “in that on or about the 7th March 2011 at or near Ha-Abia in Maseru district, the said accused did wrongly, unlawfully and intentionally operate an unregistered school named Abia Star English Medium School in violation of section 11 of Education Act of 2010.”

In the second count he is being charged under the same Act “in that upon the 7th of March 2011 at or near the
Cathedral Area in Maseru the said accused did wrongly, unlawfully and intentionally operate an unregistered school named Lerotholi Remedial School in terms of section 11 of the Education Act of 2010.”

He was released on bail after his lawyer Advocate Patrick Tšenoli told the magistrate ’Makampong Mokhoro that although Kiaba was born in Kenya he is now living in Lesotho.

“The accused was born in Kenya but is an incola in Lesotho and is married to a Lesotho citizen and they have two children.

“I am reliably informed that since the beginning of the investigations on March 7 the accused has been co-operative with the investigators.

“He has been reporting himself whenever called upon, was warned and not arrested and came to court (on Tuesday) by himself. The point is that the accused is not a flight risk,” Tšenoli said.

Lebelo was also charged under the same Act for operating an unregistered school called Holy Rosary Secondary at Ha-Leqele on Tuesday last week.

Akhente was also charged for contravening provisions of the Education Act of 2010 for operating an unregistered institution called Step Ahead High School in Maseru East.

All the three accused persons were released on condition that each pays M500 as bail deposit.

Magistrate Mokhoro also warned them not to interfere with police investigations.

They are expected to appear again at the Maseru Magistrate’s Court on March 28 to set a date for the hearing of their cases.

“The case is remanded to the 28th of March 2011 for set down,” Mokhoro said.

Comments are closed.