Home NewsLocal News Soldiers shoot suspected burglars

Soldiers shoot suspected burglars

by Lesotho Times
9 comments 47 views

MASERU — A suspected burglar was shot dead last Friday after he was found in one of the offices at the finance ministry offices at the government complex in Maseru.

Soldiers guarding the complex also shot and injured his suspected accomplice.  Police said the men, both from Khubetsoana, had broken into three ministry offices.

Their luck however ran out when they were caught ransacking the third office.

“The suspects were taken to Queen Elizabeth II but one of them was declared dead on arrival at the hospital,” police spokesperson Masupha Masupha said.

The other suspect was treated as an outpatient before being taken into custody.

“He told police that he was a 26-year-old student at the one of the tertiary institutions in the country,” Masupha said.

The deceased is from Selekhapane Bochabela II in Khubetsoana village.

“We understand that their mission was to steal but they did not succeed as the soldiers who guard the complex caught them red-handed.

“They had broken into three offices.  They were found in the third office by the soldiers and they shot them.”

Masupha said an inquest file had been opened in relation to the death.

Meanwhile, a 19-year-old man from Ts’enola in Maseru was arrested after attacking and robbing an Indian businesswoman and her family in Lithoteng last Thursday.

According to the police report the suspect together with his three alleged accomplices allegedly attacked the woman and her family members in her home.  

“The suspect called the woman pretending to be a villager who needed help from her,” Masupha said.

They tied the woman together with her family members with wires, Masupha said.

He said they fled with mobile phones and car keys.

The 19-year-old man was later caught at one of the bars in the village.

The suspect told the police that he was the one who called the woman pretending to be a villager who needed help.

His companions are still at large and police are carrying out further investigations.

The mobile phones and the car keys have not yet been recovered.

You may also like

Comments are closed.