Man hangs himself after family dispute

MASERU – A 24-year-old man from Teyateyaneng allegedly hanged himself on Sunday following a family dispute, police said this week.

Police spokesman Masupha Masupha said the man was found hanging from the roof of his room with a rope tied around his neck.

He said the man had been summoned before a family disciplinary hearing the previous day.

“The deceased was called for a meeting by his relatives after he had had an argument with his sister,” Masupha said.

He said the relatives then found him dead in his room the next day, adding that police were investigating.

In a separate incident, a 75-year-old woman from Berea was found dead in her house with her throat slit last Sunday.

According to a police report, the woman who had been staying alone had gone missing a few days before leading the area chief to launch a massive search for her.

“The chief told the police that he last saw the deceased during the middle of last week and her disappearance worried him as she stayed alone,” the police said.

The chief then asked the whole village to search for her.

Police said the villagers were shocked to find the deceased’s body when they opened her house after failing to locate her for days.

They added that the deceased’s throat had been slit and it appeared she had also been sexually assaulted.

Police are investigating the case.

Meanwhile, a 32-year-old man from Maputsoe was arrested for allegedly beating his 29-year-old wife to death on October 6.

Masupha said the deceased’s body was found dumped in a river last week.

“The deceased was last seen leaving her home the previous day,” Masupha said.

The deceased is said to have told her husband that she was going to look for a job in the afternoon.

But unbeknown to the deceased, the husband was following her, police said.

Masupha said the man caught up with her and ordered her to follow him along a path towards the river.

When they got to the river he allegedly started beating her.

The next day police found her body floating in Mokota-Koti River.

The deceased had bruises all over her body leading to suspicions that she had been fatally assaulted before she was thrown into the river.

Masupha said the husband was arrested the same day.

“It is really shocking to find that men are abusing their women and killing them,” Masupha said.

The man is expected to appear in court soon.

Comments are closed.