LeFA yet to decide Senong’s future
THE Lesotho Football Association (LeFA) is yet to decide on the future of senior national soccer team coach, Thabo Senong’s, secretary general Mokhosi Mohapi has said.
Senong was appointed Likuena head coach in August 2019 on a one-year contract which was supposed to run until the end of both the 2021 Africa Cup of Nations and 2022 World Cup qualifiers last year.
But due to the Covid-19 pandemic, which saw qualifiers being moved to late last year and early this year, Senong’s contract was extended in December 2020.
His side was eliminated in the preliminary stages of the World Cup qualifiers by Ethiopia in 2019 before finishing at the bottom of Group L of the AFCON qualifiers with just three points from three draws in six matches.
Since his appointment to the post, Senong has played 11 matches drawing seven and losing four matches.
Mohapi told the Lesotho Times on Tuesday that since the qualifiers have just ended, the LeFA national executive committee is yet to discuss the matter.
He however, said chances are that Senong’s contract was likely to be extended given the disruptions caused by Covid-19.
“His contract is yet to be discussed; it’s still too early to discuss that matter after the team’s last defeat,” Mohapi said.
“But I think he will go on as we must consider the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic on his team’s performances.”
Asked whether or not Senong has submitted his report from the AFCON and World Cup qualifiers, he was still awaiting communication from the technical director Leslie Notši.